Wednesday 3 July 2013

Fimo all the way!

I tried to work with the Living Doll again, but I was not happy with it.  I also wasn't fussed on the colour of it.  It was a light flesh colour (I didn't like the darker flesh), but once baked it had a beigey greyish tone that did not look nice.

As I had used Fimo as a child, I though I might give it a go.  Back to the hobby shop and they only had the small blocks of what was now termed Fimo Classic and Fimo Soft.  Then I spotted a large block of Fimo soft in a sort of pinky flesh tone.  I bought it and brought it home.

I think this block had been sitting in the shop a while too as the texture felt a bit like marshmallows, but as soon as I started working with this clay I fell in love!  It held form better, was less squishy, smoothed seams nicely and as for the colour, it was just perfect!

By this point I had also bought Dawn Schiller's Fae Maker book.  I decided to try making soft bodied dolls instead of clay bodies to avoid the burning issues.  I wanted to make a doll using her template but using my own style of doll, so I made the her in my style and used Dawn's techniques for putting together a soft body, and making the hands and feet.


This was my first go at making hands and feet.  They came out cute but were a little too chunky for my doll so I made some more.

The doll was easy to make.  The Fimo bakes at a lower temperature than the Sculpey so I didn't get any burning issues, or cracking.

I made the armature according to Dawn's measurments, used pillow stuffing glued to the armature, and then used some long john material to cover the stuffing

This is how she looked at this point.



Then I made her a dress all hand sewn.



After painting and adding hair, this is how she looked.


I plan on repainting her as I didn't have small enough brushes to do a good job on the eyes and brows, and as people have expressed an interest in her I would like to ensure she is up to scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment