Wednesday 3 July 2013

Little doll BIG hassle!

So as I said I got distracted making another doll whilst doing the other head.

I wanted to make a full body sculpt again, but decided to make a smaller doll.  What a pain that turned out to be!

I knew I wanted to make a cyber goth/punk doll, and that had been my intention with the previous head I'd been working on.  I liked the idea of making a smaller doll and also sculpting the clothes.

First off, making smaller hands is a right pain.  It's hard not to break off the fingers as you add details to the hands and the fingers are difficult to pose.  One hand is hard enoguh but then you have to try to match the other hand.

I also wanted to make some platform boots/shoes, but there are zero tutorials on the web for how to make these for polymer clay dolls.  Most tutorial are for cloth shoes you fit to the doll after baking, or they are instructions for resi cast shoes for dolls such as Barbie or Monster High.

So I managed to find a pattern and after much fiddling and serial baking (where I worried there would be burning) I managed to make some boots, but they are not amazing.

After sculpting the body and baking the doll, I attached clothing and baked again, ensuring to cover the finger with a damp cloth to avoid burning.  Annoyingly after baking and leaving to cool, I was inspecting her and parts of the gloves were braking off and a little of the skirt broke off.  By this time I was thoroughly fed up with the whole process and vowed never to make a full sculpt ever again.

I used to have terrible patience and would abandon things half way through, but something that sculpting has done is given me the drive to finish things properly, so I decided to finish the doll even though there were some flaws.  So I sanded and buffed and painted and glued hair on.

Here she is.


She is a cute enough doll but I'm not happy with her overall.  The wires at the bottom of her feet are there so that I can put her onto a stand I was going to make.

After this I decided to go back to bigger dolls and the soft body.

No comments:

Post a Comment